Rants and Raves

Opinion, commentary, reviews of books, movies, cultural trends, and raising kids in this day and age.

Saturday, April 05, 2008

I passed hunter's ed

I've just finished the two-week, 14-hour course for Hunter's Education required for a hunting license here in North Dakota. The students ranged from former law enforcement officers to 12-year-old boys and girls.

I didn't actually have to take the course, I'm grandfathered in due to my age but you'd have to be a damn fool not to take a free course in hunting safety, gun handling, game identification and laws etc, no matter how familiar you are with firearms.

And, though I've done a lot of shooting with a wide variety of guns, I realized that my early, informal instruction was mostly at the hands of teachers with military backgrounds, and the technique is sometimes different.

Those of you who know the military method of handing over a rifle during "inspection arms" or crossing a fence with one know what I mean.

I aced the test and am waiting on my certificate in the mail.

Am I going to go hunting?

I dunno. I don't own any hunting firearms and am kind of hinkey about keeping them in the house with small kids. I do have a lock (gratis for passing the course) but I'd feel more comfortable with a gun safe - and they're expensive.

Also, though I love game meats I wouldn't even consider going hunting alone as a rookie hunter. I'd want an invite from someone who's been doing it for a while.

But the primary reason I took the course is, this is hunting, fishing and trapping country for sure. If I'm doing journalism here, I have to know what they're talking about.

6 Comments:

  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger TheWayfarer said…

    Congrats are in order, man...This RULES!
    Have fun & bag your limit.

     
  • At 5:54 AM, Blogger Steve said…

    Snow geese... I'm thinking snow geese.

    Apparently the damn things have learned to glean waste grain down south in Texas and Louisiana and have increase to the point that they eat the tundra marshes bare when they go north.

    No bag limit this year, or maybe any until they've halved their numbers.

     
  • At 12:19 PM, Blogger Joseph Sixpack said…

    Sadly, this is a timely post. Former (NRA) President Charlton Heston has passed away. I don't know about you, but I had the t-shirt and the bumper sticker.

    As someone living in the gut of the beltway, I pledge to purchase a Lifetime NRA Membership if the Supreme Court overturns the DC gun ban (and it looks like it will happen).

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger Steve said…

    I once hear Charleton Heston defending 2nd Amendment rights on the Armed Forces Radio Network whilst driving down the highway in Saudi.

    He was always warm, even-toned, and treated opponents like old friends he had disagreements with. (I understand this was the tone of his long friendship with Gregory Peck.)

    What class! And what a sharp intellect, tragically just before Alzheimers took it away.

     
  • At 5:07 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said…

    NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    -your sister

     
  • At 7:59 AM, Blogger Steve Bodio said…

    Go Steve!

    Here (New Mexico) game is a large part of what we eat.

    Snow geese are good but don't try to cook them like domestics-- very lean. You need a good game cookbook. Judith Martin and Angus Cameron's LL Bean is good; also we use many English ones as they seem to rely less on "add a can of cream of mushroom soup".

    I can send a list..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home