Rants and Raves

Opinion, commentary, reviews of books, movies, cultural trends, and raising kids in this day and age.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Hey, I won something!

No, it wasn't the lottery. Not yet, and you won't hear about it from me when I do...

What I won was First Place in the North Dakota Newspaper Association Better Newspaper Contest, in the category of Personal Columns - Serious, among newspapers of 12,000 or less circulation.

I posted it here http://rantsand.blogspot.com/2008/06/fathers-day-lessons-for-older-dad.html

I also won second place in the category of Picture Story, for a photo series on a drill the first responders of our community staged in front of the local high school - very fake-gory it was and a great drill.

It seems very appropriate on the day I'm going to pick up my family at the airport. They've been evacuated to my parents home on the east coast, and it's given me an excellent opportunity to rediscover something.

Being a bachelor sucks.

The house is eerily un-haunted. There are no sounds at night, no breathing on the other side of bed, and beyond her in the crib. And beyond the crib in the next room.

I'd have welcomed the company of a ghost.

Now I'm getting my family back - can the lottery be far behind?

2 Comments:

  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger Ken S said…

    "Being a bachelor sucks."

    I would change that to, "Being a bachelor sometimes sucks." But then, it's not like I've known much else.

    I can tell you that being with the wrong woman sucks even more than being a bachelor. I've heard that it's possible to meet the right woman and have a happy life together, though I haven't seen that yet. Maybe one day before I die.

     
  • At 12:55 PM, Blogger Steve said…

    Hey it can happen!

    All I had to do was wait 30 years and move half a world away from America.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home